Follow Us On: Prepare for Australia on Facebook Prepare for Australia on Twitter
Share this page:

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Overseas Student Health CoverIn order to qualify for your student visa, you must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).  This health insurance policy protects you if you are sick or you have an accident while you are a studying in the country. 

The cover gives you the same basic medical assistance that an Australian citizen receives under the government controlled Medical Benefits Schedule (MBS). Typical areas covered include:

  • visiting a doctor
  • medical services such as x-rays and blood tests (for a minimal cost)
  • medical services in hospital
  • ambulance cover

Like an Australian, you may be required to pay the 'gap fee' on medical services which are charged in addition to what the government pays the doctor (the general fee for a treatment paid to a doctor is called bulk billing).

Note: Student visa applicants from Belgium and Norway do not have to take out OSHC. Some students from Sweden are also not required to hold a policy.

This government site offers an excellent overview of Overseas Student Health Cover.

Medical Extras & Travel Insurance

Some companies additionally offer 'medical extras' cover, which provides discounted charges on services like dental and optical (eye care).

Allianz also sells travel insurance for student visas holders who are taking an overseas holiday while studying in Australia.